Tuesday 4 May 2010

Bullying


http://www.nhs.uk/live-well/bullying/facts.aspx
As a child in primary school I was bullied quite badly to a point where I would come home from school every day with fresh bruises. But when I realised that being punched and kicked didn’t hurt as much as I feared, then i became a bit of a bully myself. I never went to the extent of flushing smaller kids heads down the toilet but it was more of an 'I can look after myself' sort of vibe. After this I began fights with people that had a problem with friends, and when I turned 16 I realized I had turned into what I feared most in primary school. It’s easy to be a bully, that’s why most people do it, but when you’re on the receiving end its terrifying.

I in 7 children am either a bully or being bullied and on average 160,000 kids skip school every day for the fear of being punched at the school gate. But it doesn’t stop there, teens that go to school together normally live relatively close to one and other, so when the bullying stops at school it continues for some as their hanging around with their friends and see their bully.

Bullying doesn’t just include kicking and punching, it’s also about verbal abuse and the way if makes the victims feel; there are severe cases of depression amongst teenagers as a result of verbal bullying and name calling. There are even councillors in school now that you can go and talk to in confidence, and repeated bullying can lead to expulsion from the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment