Friday 30 April 2010

Swearing


http://www.winmentalhealth.com/parenting.advice.children.and.cursing.php

From stubbing your toe, to rap music, swearing is used in many different ways. We use swearing because we can, and it usually starts as a teenager because it makes you feel the big man/woman of the group.

Swearing is obviously still considered as bad language and shouldn’t be used out in public. I remember when i was a child that every time I swore or said a naughty word my mom would make me eat a spoon full of mustard (I hate mustard) as a punishment. And yet with this strange parenting technique I still continue to swear (sorry mom).

Its unsettling to hear little kids curse but i need to remember that i was exactly the same, I’m not saying i completely agree with it, I know it’s wrong, but i also find swearing to be appropriate in the right circumstance and context, for example, imagine getting into a fight with another bloke, would you tell him he’s a nasty man, or would you tell him to fuck off? It’s quite obvious really. Also, when frustration kicks in and you need to blow off a little steam or hurt yourself, like a cut or bump, then I find swearing to be very appropriate.

although I swear on pretty much an hourly basis (sorry mom, again), I would never swear to a family member or a dear friend, well at least not in an aggressive way, because these are the people I want to please and I want them to be proud of me.

Swearing is also a small part of 'turrets syndrome' and only directly affects 12% of those who have turrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment